- Corporate Responsibility
- Media Contacts
- Press Releases
- Social Media
- Fact Sheets
- About PSEG
- Photo Gallery
- YouTube Videos
- Reports and Publications
- Investor Relations
- PSEG in the Community
October 5, 2010
PSE&G offers 10 Tips for Home Safety to mark Fire Prevention Week October 3 – 9
(October 5, 2010 - Newark, NJ) Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is offering 10 tips for home electric and gas safety to mark Fire Prevention Week October 3-9.
- Purchase smoke alarms and follow manufacturers’ instructions for installing, testing and maintaining.
- Guard against carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by making sure all fuel-burning appliances operate properly. These appliances include gas and oil furnaces, water heaters, gas ranges, space heaters and gas clothes dryers. Have heating equipment inspected each year by qualified technicians. Keep vents and chimneys clear of debris and use charcoal grills outdoors only. Improperly vented fireplaces and charcoal grills can give off CO.
- Invest in carbon monoxide monitors. Look for Underwriters Laboratories (UL) certification on any monitor you purchase, and carefully follow manufacturers’ instructions for placement, use and maintenance. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and invisible so a monitor can be a life saver.
- Get out of your house immediately if a CO monitor goes off. Leave doors and windows open and make sure everyone is out. Call 911 or the local emergency squad and then your gas utility.
- Never heat rooms using a kitchen range. This can reduce oxygen levels and cause a build up of CO levels. Be cautious when using candles. Don’t leave them unattended and don’t place them near curtains or drapes that can catch fire.
- If you smell natural gas in your home, put out all open flames. Don't light matches, lighters or appliances. Don't touch electric switches, thermostats or appliance controls. They may cause sparks. Open windows and outside doors for ventilation. If the odor is strong, don't use your telephone. Leave the premises and call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734), or your gas utility, and stay outside until a technician arrives.
- Develop a home emergency escape plan and determine a safe place to meet if you get separated. Be sure all family members know the plan and hold a drill at least once a year.
- Only buy UL-labeled appliances, wire, or other electrical supplies. Larger appliances need their own separate circuit. Have an electrician look at your wiring to ensure that it’s up-to-date and safe.
- Stay away from fallen power lines. There’s a good chance that electricity is still running through them. Call PSE&G at 1-800-436 PSEG (7734) to report a power outage.
- Check out PSEG’s revamped website for other safety tips and information. http://www.pseg.com/home/education_safety/index.jsp
Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest regulated gas and electric delivery utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company (www.pseg.com).