- Search Jobs
- Why PSEG
- Our People
- Interview and Test Preparation
- Certificate of Employee Information Report
Career Development with PSEG
Plant Manager, Linden Generating Station
Phyllis has been with PSEG for 18 years, beginning her career here as an Associate Engineer right out of college.
Read the success story >>
Phyllis has been with PSEG for 18 years, beginning her career here as an Associate Engineer right out of college. After 8 years of learning and growth in that area she moved on to become a Senior Environment Engineer, becoming aware of that opportunity through our CareerLink service. Two years later, she broadened her experience by becoming a Plant Engineer (a position she also learned about through CareerLink) at Sewaren Generating Station and subsequently at NJ Peaking Operations, where she gained exposure to a broad range of new technologies. Her next role, as Production Manager at Sewaren Generating Station, enriched her knowledge of plant management, safety, maintenance and budgeting. Today, Phyllis is the Plant Manager at our Linden Generating Station.
“Throughout my career with PSEG, I’ve taken full advantage of the training and leadership development opportunities available here. My advice to anyone interested in a career with PSEG is to figure out what interests you, decide where you want to go in your career, and then use all the great resources and mentoring at PSEG to make it happen!”
At PSEG, we are as committed to your development as you are. We help you advance your career as far as your ambition, determination and skills can take you. Whether you’re beginning your career or have years of experience, we offer a number of initiatives to facilitate your continued growth and development:
- Career Coaching – At PSEG, we help you gain clarity around your future career plans. We provide tools and coaching sessions that will help you assess and identify your career values, and align your career objectives and opportunities accordingly.
- Leadership Coaching – We support the development of leaders in the business through the engagement of professional coaches who will enable you to break through to excellence
- Personal and Professional Development are integral components of your success at PSEG. We will work with you and your manager to help identify skills and behaviors needed to be successful in your job. We will help you create development plans that focus on your strengths and challenges.
- Academies – PSEG offers professional development opportunities targeted at employees who manage other employees:
- Supervisory Academy— Should you advance to become a front-line supervisor, we continue to help you develop your skills to effectively manage and lead employees.
- Leadership Academy— Whether you’re an experienced leader or find yourself in a leadership role for the first time, we provide focused development to help strengthen your management skills.
- Development / Assessment Tools– We utilize a series of assessment tools designed for your career development. Whether utilizing a feedback instrument, a behavior index or a managerial assessment, their purpose is to help you in your development planning.
- Career Pathing – Career pathing tools provide maps that indicate how you can move from one position to another within a defined function. Included in the tools are instruments for use in partnership with your manager that enables both of you to create action-based development plans for your growth.
- Mentoring— Our culture of teamwork and learning enables you to grow professionally. PSEG’s mentoring programs provide opportunities for you to learn from successful leaders, and network with people in all areas of our company.
- Succession Planning – An integral component of PSEG’s strategic workforce planning is to continually review organizational benchstrength. By understanding an individual’s performance and potential, we are in a better position to plan for filling critical positions as they become available.
- Training— Our Training & Development Center in Edison provides you with the technical training you need to succeed and grow as a skilled tradesperson in the utility industry.
These are just examples of how PSEG engages employees in their own professional development. On the job development and other opportunities are made available on an ad hoc basis.