- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- SAVE ENERGY & MONEY
- EDUCATION & SAFETY
- MY BILL
- Safety Tips and Information
- Call Before You Dig
- Carbon Monoxide Safety
- Downed Power Lines
- Flood Safety
- Teacher & Student Resources
- Energy Calculators and Lesson Plans
- Tree Maintenance
House Heater Safety
- Be cautious when using space heaters. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions and heed warning labels. Be sure all household members understand how to operate space heaters safely.
- Always have your gas heater and venting system professionally installed and inspected according to local codes.
PSE&G customers are advised to check their heating equipment periodically by performing the following activities.
Check your heating system:
- If you have a steam or hot water system, check the water in the sight glass or the pressure on the water pressure gauge. If it is low, turn on the water supply valve to bring the water level up to the half-way mark on the site glass, or to the 12 PSI mark on the water pressure gauge. Turn off the valve on the steam system.
- For warm-air systems, check and replace filters regularly and make sure the blower motor is operating.
Start up your heating system:
- If the pilot light is out, follow the instructions to relight the heating unit. Let the pilot light burn a few minutes. If the pilot light is already on, set the thermostat to “heat” and raise the setting to five degrees above room temperature. The heater should come on within a minute or two. Then, adjust the thermostat to the desired temperature.
- If you need help lighting the pilot, PSE&G will perform this service free-of-charge through the second Sunday in September. PSE&G will assess a $25 charge to perform this turn-on service from mid-September through the end of October.
If your heating system is not working properly:
- Contact PSE&G 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-350-PSEG (7734) to have your heating equipment or other appliances inspected, serviced or repaired. Or go to www.pseg.com to register for My Account and schedule services online for assistance from an appliance service technician.
- PSE&G uses an automated system to handle calls as efficiently as possible. The system is designed to complete simple customer requests and to route calls appropriately if the customer selects the option to speak directly to a customer service representative.