Natural gas is an environmentally clean, economical, efficient, and safe power source. To learn more about the many advantages of Natural Gas, and why you might want to convert your home, choose one of the topics below.
Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel. The blue flame seen when natural gas is ignited is a sign of almost perfect combustion. Because the combustion process for natural gas is almost perfect, very few by-products are emitted into the atmosphere as pollutants.
- With the introduction of new technologies, nitrogen oxide, a pollutant targeted by the Clean Air Act can now be significantly reduced.
- Because natural gas burns cleanly, it doesn't leave behind any unpleasant soot, ash, or odors.
- Switching to natural gas eliminates the need for an underground storage tank--eliminating the threat of oil spills, soil contamination, and costly environmental cleanup.
- Switching to natural gas also eliminates worry about spills or corrosion of above ground storage tanks.
- Natural gas is non-toxic. Inhaled in small amounts, natural gas is not poisonous or harmful to humans.
(Back to Top)
Natural Gas is Economical and Efficient
Natural gas is one of the most convenient and economical energy sources we have.
- It’s piped directly to the customer's facility through a safe, efficient pipeline system. There's no need to store oil on site in tanks, or schedule oil deliveries.
- While the price and supply of oil is susceptible to international events, and over half of the oil used in this country is imported, there is an abundant supply of domestic natural gas.
- Natural gas is reliable. The pipeline system can't be easily damaged by weather or affected by weather conditions. In contrast, oil must be trucked to the customer's location, and truck deliveries are susceptible to weather conditions.
(Back to Top)
Natural Gas Has an Enviable Safety Record
- Both natural gas and PSE&G have an excellent tradition of safety. An odorant is added to natural gas by the producer to signal that a leakage exists and should be fixed.
- To report an emergency, such as a gas leak, power outage or loss of heat, call the regional emergency number on the back of your bill, or our main number, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 1-800-350-PSEG (7734).