- About PSEG
- PSEG Power LLC
- PSEG Energy Holdings
- For Your Home
- For Your Business
- Energy Efficiency
- Electric & Gas Tariffs
- Regulatory Filings
- OASIS - Electric Transmission Information
- Solar 4 All Program
- Reliability Projects
- SUSQUEHANNA - ROSELAND
- NORTHEAST GRID RELIABILITY PROJECT
- NORTH CENTRAL
- BURLINGTON CAMDEN
- SOUTHERN REINFORCEMENT PROJECT
- MCCARTER SWITCHING STATION
TRANSMISSION: The Essential Link
From electric generation through transmission to distribution, the light that goes on when you flip a switch often takes a long and circuitous route.
- PSE&G, New Jersey’s oldest and largest electric and gas utility, was among the first utilities to develop electricity transmission lines linking consumers to energy markets across states and regions.
- Transmission lines, when interconnected to other lines, become transmission networks, typically referred to as “the power grid,” the highway for moving bulk power from where it is generated to its ultimate consumer. Currently, PSE&G’s electric transmission system spans about 1,400 circuit miles, serving 2.2 million electric customers.
- Like our interstate highway system, the transmission infrastructure that moves vast amounts of electricity is essential to New Jersey’s economic well-being and quality of life. While this infrastructure has served its purpose, a significant portion of our transmission system dates back to the 1920’s and needs to be replaced and upgraded to handle the evolving demand for power.
- PSE&G is investing approximately $3.5 billion over five years [see Forward Looking statement] to reinforce and upgrade New Jersey’s transmission backbone to:
- help maintain safe, highly reliability electric service
- meet current and future electricity demands by New Jersey businesses and residents
- provide better power quality
- reduce transmission system congestion in the region
- allow power to move more efficiently across the state
- ensure the availability of the lowest cost energy obtainable on the market
- Continuing to provide safe and reliable energy is not simply a job, but a fundamental responsibility at PSE&G. Reliability is a company hallmark. PSE&G has won awards as the most reliable electric utility in its region for 11 consecutive years.
- PSE&G has a number of major transmission projects underway or on the horizon.
- Click here for an overview of large transmission Reliability Projects.
- Click here for an overview of the network reliability upgrades in your neighborhood.
- Glossary of Terms
Watch the Video
PSE&G’s live-line crew featured on PBS series, "America Revealed."
Overview of the Electricity Grid
Watch the VIDEO by PJM.
Want to know about Electric and Magnetic Fields?